Intro to Google Apps
Marion Military Institute has moved to Google Apps!
We are pleased to announce that Marion Military Institute has chosen Google Apps for our cadet’s new email and calendar platform.
What’s Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a "service," rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that's connected to the Internet.
Why did you choose Google Apps?
Based on MMI’s recent growth and cost trends, we looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
• Lower infrastructure costs -- All your email will be stored securely on Google's servers, so we'll no longer need to maintain email servers on-site
• Ability to consolidate our platforms -- We can eliminate redundancy by moving Cadet email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
• Lower support costs -- Because Google hosts the email and calendar services, there's no more email client software to maintain on your computer
• Innovative solutions -- We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide employees with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done
• Highly scalable environment -- With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as MMI grows, and we'll avoid the complexity of internal systems
• Access to services from anywhere, anytime -- A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that you can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world
Here are some of the key benefits we think you'll enjoy:
• Lots of storage -- You get a full 25 GB of online storage for your email, so you can archive all of your email online. You'll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
• Enhanced message organization and retrieval -- With Gmail, you'll spend less time managing folders and looking for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or "labels," to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it's in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
• Easier calendar sharing -- Google Calendar lets you and your team members quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way for you and your peers to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it's easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
• Better mailing lists -- With Google Groups, you can manage your own subscriptions to mailing lists -- called groups -- without the need to make requests to the IT Department. You can even create your own groups for your projects, teams, special-interest groups, and more. Not only do groups make it easier to send email and calendar invitations to groups of people but they also simplify access management for your shared Google documents, sites, videos, and calendars!
• Integrated chat -- With the Google Talk instant messaging application, you can communicate instantly with your peers right from the Email interface. In addition, all your chats are automatically saved in your Email application, so you can always retrieve important information.
• Real-time collaboration -- Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, and you and your team members can view and edit them at the same time. You can still use your Microsoft Office/other products as needed, but now you'll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
I already use Google Apps for my personal email and calendar. Are we getting the same applications?
They are similar, but we'll be using the business-class edition of Google Apps, which provides more features, more support, and an "up-time" guarantee.
Will my email address change?
No, your email address won't change! You'll continue to receive all your email at your current address.
Do I need to do anything after I get my Google Apps account?
You'll just need to complete a few simple tasks to complete your migration, such as recreating any email rules you used in Outlook/Notes and setting up your mobile device.
Will you provide assistance during the transition?
To get you up to speed quickly, we'll provide plenty of documentation and training resources. Members of the IT team will also be available to answer your questions or resolve any issues you encounter.
We think you'll enjoy your new Google Apps services, and we're committed to making this a smooth transition.